Tile is one of the most versatile floor coverings you can choose for your home. The variety of colors and patterns, different options when laying and cutting the tile, and choosing a coordinating grout color, all make it easy to use tile as a true design element. However, one key to long-lasting tile is tile maintenance. While it’s not difficult to keep your tile neat and clean, there are a few tips you should always keep in mind so you’ll be able to enjoy your flooring for years to come.
Top DO’s for Tile Maintenance
- Do use hot water with a mild detergent. Hot water prevents residue from forming on your tile, while a mild detergent will help to reduce the risk of a cloudy or dull finish.
- Do address spills quickly. Depending on the spill, it’s possible that simply wiping down your tile will address the issue. However, in the case of liquids or materials that could stain your tile floor, it’s a good idea to tackle those spills fast, using detergent and a warm cloth to wipe down the tile. Fast action on clean-up can also help to avoid grout stains.
- Do use more powerful cleaners when necessary. To maintain your tile floor, it might be necessary to employ a powerful cleaner, especially in high traffic areas. To avoid damage to your flooring, make sure the cleaner is expressly formulated for tile.
Top DO NOT’s for Tile Maintenance
- Do not use acidic or ammonia-based cleaners. These harsh chemicals have a better chance of not only damaging your tile, but discoloring the grout. That can create a very unseemly sight.
- Do not use abrasive brushes or scrubbers. Your tile is fairly durable, but these abrasive cleaning products can easily scratch the surface of your floor and leave behind a dull finish.
- Do not use acid or vinegar to clean your floor. These everyday household chemicals might be convenient, but they are not meant for tile maintenance. Harsh cleaners can easily discolor or erode grout; they also tend to leave a film on your floor’s surface. This can make everything dull and even encourage mold growth.
For more tips and tricks on tile maintenance, visit Go Mobile Flooring today. As your mobile flooring showroom serving the Tampa Bay area, we can provide expert advice on how best to manage your flooring investment.